July 1, 2011

My Huge Non-Secret

I was inspired by Ashley's post to come out of the proverbial closet. Well, not actually because anyone who knows me in real life is already well aware of this fact. I am a GIANT Harry Potter nerd. I am talking books, movies, podcasts, fansites, I would be at LeakyCon 2011 in 2 weeks if I didn’t have a 14 month old.
 Ginny Weasley and Mr. Clean? Makes total sense.

 In line with my sis to see Oder of the Phoenix at midnight :)

 Seeing Order of the Phoenix AGAIN (3D obviously) the night before the last book came out. The husband fully supports my nerdtastic ways.

I am not sure exactly why this story has struck such a strong chord with me, but it did from the very start. There is something so unexpectedly beautiful and relatable about it. Yeah I know, they are books about Wizards, but not really. They are books about love and bravery and friendship and loyalty. Don’t get me started.

I think I also fell in love with the community of fans. Groups of friends from all over the country brought together by literature? Nerdgasm!

I mean, did you know there are wizard rock groups? A lot of them! And they are pretty successful. Do you think Jo Rowling expected that the story she started on a napkin would one day be the basis for a whole sub-genre of music?


I won’t wax all philosophically here about the massive impact of this series on “children’s books”, on charity, and on the way people consume literature. Many people far more eloquent than I have already done that.

The last movie comes out in two weeks and I know a lot of people feel like it is the end of everything, but I just don’t think that is true. We have a whole new generation of up and coming readers who we get to help fall in love with this series and experience everything from the start. I cannot wait until Lily is old enough to enjoy the books.

  Books make the best gifts, can you guess who this present is from?

Until then I will re-read my books (along with lots of other books, I don’t discriminate) and watch the movies, plan my trip to the theme park and eagerly anticipate the reveal of Jo’s new site Pottermore.com.

 
Yes, I’m serious, you have no idea how exciting this is.

There are weirder things I could tell you. I could be one of those people who wears full latex body suits, or a bee keeper, but I’m not.

I am a NERD people, and I’m proud of it.

What are you a nerd about? Please tell me I’m not the only one :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait either! I probably will for a bit though ;)

    Why on earth did you pick Ginny over Hermoine??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Nikki! Maybe because I already kind of have Hermione hair, it wouldn't really be a costume! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...